Pages

Friday, November 28, 2008

Madness

A 34 year old Walmart employee died and four others were hurt during the early morning rush into a store today, Black Friday.

"He was bum-rushed by 200 people," Jimmy Overby, the man's 43-year-old co-worker, told the New York Daily News. "They took the doors off the hinges. He was trampled and killed in front of me. They took me down too ... I literally had to fight people off my back."

A 28-year-old pregnant woman was also taken in for observation and three other shoppers suffered minor injuries during the incident, police said. The pregnant woman and the unborn baby were reported to be OK, said Sgt. Anthony Repalone, a Nassau County police spokesman.

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. in Bentonville, Ark., closed the store in Valley Stream for several hours after the stampede. It reopened shortly after 1 p.m. via foxnews.com

A crowd of 2000 had gathered outside the store for the early sale.

4 comments:

FridaWrites said...

This poor man and his family, so unnecessary.

And people wonder why we don't go shopping the Friday after Thanksgiving.

Ruth said...

Totally senseless :( I don't do Black Friday shopping either. In fact this year I'm not shopping at all, doing other things as "gifts".

Elizabeth McClung said...

Seriously, what is in the water down there - I used to think Boxing day was bad, did this happen while I was in the UK. Why do they call it "Black Friday?" Because people are so horrid or spend so much? I don't know, it seems a sort of horrific tradition; thankfulness and then envy, greed, the whole biz!

I don't keep xmas but is this about xmas? Or about thanksgiving, or both? Did I know this last year, and the brain damage wipe it away, if so, I am thankful for once for my brain damage

Ruth said...

Elizabeth - yes the juxtaposition of Thanksgiving and then Black Friday is pretty horrific. (They also call it Blitz Day - a retail frenzy sales day).