Pages

Sunday, November 30, 2008

Is it Christmas yet?

No, it's Advent.

Meredith Gould, author of The Catholic Home: Celebrations and Traditions for Holidays, Feast Days, and Every Day blogs about setting up her own home for Advent. [Personally I'm looking forward to putting out my felt Advent wreath, fire proof and quad friendly. ]

But her preparations are a bit more involved:


Advent prep began two hours before sundown tonight. Turns out I needed every minute to arrange this year's mantle diorama of the Annunciation, hang angels from door handles, and scatter stars around my hermitage. Plus vacuum.

About an hour into this festive frenzy, I lit balsam-scented candles to enhance my mood and then fortified myself with a tangerine to tear through four closets and two cabinets searching for the Advent wreath candle holder. It was in a drawer where I also found seasonally appropriate coasters, dish towels in Sarum Rite blue, and an unopened bag of 50 tea lights. All can call me blessed.

Of course this was in between being my aide and writing a new book. And if you go over to her blog which is officially one year old today, she has more to say about that, too. And about Advent....

3 comments:

Meredith Gould said...

Thanks Ruth! You (and your readers?) might be amused to know that I'm back home and in liturgically-correctly colored PJs, listening to Advent hymnody...and ordering a copy of the Talmud on CD.

Anonymous said...

I've bought almost all of Meredith's books except The Word Made Fresh which my parish is in need of! I'm thinking a good Christmas staff present for all.

Dolores

Anonymous said...

I have my Advent calendar up. I agree it's not time for Christmas yet.