Pages

Saturday, October 11, 2008

Well I have my ballot.....

In an irony that hit me more in this election than any other, I find myself rather amused that because I have to do absentee ballots due to (still) accessibility voting issues where I live, I get to vote first.

I think it's more amusing to me this election year than any other because of all of the mobility issues I've been dealing with lately. First my quest to get a power chair as I transition from a manual to a power chair. And now transportation issues as I look around for an affordable van.

In the meantime, I don't need transportation to vote. I'll vote by absentee ballot because it means I get to vote. There was a time I felt outraged that I couldn't get into the voting place with my manual wheelchair and vowed I'd crawl in before using an absentee ballot. And did.

In this election, I look back at other things that outraged me much more in the past four years- conversations I've had with social workers, where I was told that it would just be easier if I stopped working and let the government "take care of me". Move into housing meant for seniors, they said. That way no ramp had to be built on a house in the community. Take the paratransit, even though it wouldn't get me where I need to go for work , where the rules create more barriers than solutions. So stop working, they said again.

They only saw my level of disability, not me.

I have no regrets about going against that advice, but the experiences I've had since will shape my vote. I didn't forge my way this far with the help of so many to cast a vote against community living for others with disabilities. No, I didn't sit inside my house for months waiting to earn money and get resources for a ramp and a power chair to vote for a candidate who doesn't even have a plan for people with disabilities, who lumps our issues in with other, unrelated ones.

Oh yes, I'm ready to vote.

Except I can't until Meredith comes over because I can't fill out the ballot without assistance.

It's a reminder of the barriers that remain, every time the absentee ballot comes in the mail.But I've learned over the past four years that what counts, what matters is that I vote, not how.

I have my ballot.

4 comments:

Elizabeth McClung said...

I too have my ballot, or will Tomorrow when I go to Vote in the Canadian election (they announce an election and it happens a month later - very fast compared to the US style). And I am with you becuase I have many of the same issues including needing to wait for assistance to vote. I am glad you get to vote but sad becuase I vote for an MP but also becuase of our system, even if her party doesn't win, they can become the official opposition and bring up the issues again and again in parliment.

The post heartened me and reminded me again how for AB's it isn't about "Treat people as you would wish to be treated" but more "Conform to how I have decided all disabled people SHOULD act - regardless". Your fights, frustrating at the time, hearten me because I keep telling Linda, "I don't seek them out, the issues come to ME" - like your ramp. thank you.

Ruth said...

Elizabeth- It's so interesting how it can appear to people otherwise- but the issues do come to us when we live with disability. Thanks so much for your comment - and I'll be thinking about you voting!

Terri said...

Before my daughter was born I thought I was an active citizen because I voted... when she was born and acts of congress were enacted (or not enacted) in my living room I learned TONS more about policy and citizenship than I ever knew existed.

People who don't know, really don't know--but think they do...

Thanks for being part of the carnival!

Ruth said...

Terri- Yes, as one person said recently online having a disability or a child or family member with a disability brings the issues to us.

Thanks for all you do, including your work on the carnival -it's great!