Pages

Friday, October 31, 2008

Name that horror movie

The other day I was passing my neighbor's yard and she and her husband were decorating for Halloween. They have a white picket fence and a large front yard and were putting graveyard headstones into the ground. They also had a few pumpkins on their front step and ghosts waving in the wind.

I stopped to read the headstone. It read "Buried Alive" and two obviously fake arms were reaching out of the ground.

Another neighbor was walking by as I paused to look at it and said "They should just put debt on that gravestone. Everyone's buried in it." Then she paused. "Do you know that three homeowners on this block had to rent out their homes because they can't sell and can't afford to stay?"

I did know that. Rolling around the neighborhood has made me better acquainted with everyone. I ran into one neighbor who was emptying out her garage and told me she couldn't pay her daughter's tuition if she didn't rent her home out. Another was crying while mowing his lawn when I passed by and I found out that way. So indeed the decoration is a sad commentary.

I usually celebrate Halloween by watching a horror movie. I was looking at titles of what's available online after this conversation with my neighbor and couldn't get the economy and politics out of the equation. So titles were changing in my mind, like this:

The Election Horror Picture Show
Invasion of the Vote Snatcher
Whatever Happened to Baby Jane's College Fund?
The Phantom of the Stock Market
Dr. Jekyll and Subprime Bust
(This is for) The Birds

Maybe I'll just watch something safe like The Thing.

Feel free to leave your own horror movie names in the comments.

Happy Halloween!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, it's a scary time for lots and lots of people.

Happy Halloween, Ruth! We still gotta try to have fun, though. It's the only thing that keeps me sane these days.

Ruth said...

BG- Yeah definitely :) TGIF! I've got to give some 'serious' thought to what movie I'm going to watch.... :)

Anonymous said...

happy halloween