Pages

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Worst writing award of 2008

The winner compared his love to a New York city street in the worst writing award contest of 2008 that asks folks to submit the bad opening lines of imaginary novels. The prize is $250 and, perhaps, the chance to joke about the whole thing.

Humor and writing don't necessarily go together, although many times they should. It would make the process easier. Learning the craft of writing is a process. Being able to laugh at ourselves helps.

I used to write lyrics on napkins in dark coffeehouses in my youth for friends in a band who would compose music on the spot. Most of them were awful and my friends would toss the napkins over their shoulder, grinning at me, but every now and then there would be a good song, one they would keep and perform.

I haven't written lyrics in umpteen years, not since I stopped playing guitar after my accident. I suppose, since I was a classical guitarist and played some rock and blues, that there's no coincidence to the fact that my current writing often includes a character who is a musician or who pretends to be one. But there are no lyric writers. I forgot the napkin thing.

Until this morning.

No comments: