Pages

Thursday, August 21, 2008

I hear birds

In fact I feel like I'm in an Alfred Hitchcock movie.

The Beast is making a sound like birds, but only when it goes forward and has been running awhile. When I go backward it makes a squealing, squeaking sound like chalk on a board.

I was going along last night when an elderly neighbor came up beside me and walked along.

"Funny," he said. "Are the birds migrating already?"

"Don't think so," I said, looking down at the Beast.

We came to the corner. I slowed down. The sound stopped. My neighbor was straining his neck, looking left, right. Then he shrugged. "Oh well. Early migration I guess. Maybe just a few stragglers."

I think I should find a birdwatcher to date. Or, if I'm in the mood to go backwards, a teacher. I wonder if anyone has done any studies on subliminal noise from power chairs and attraction. There must be some since noise is apparently an acceptable thing if the whatchamacallit shows that the thingamagig is okay.

I've had cars with noises like this, but I didn't have to sit in them all day.

My manual chair, on the other hand, is blessedly quiet. And cheaper, much cheaper.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah isn't that ironic that the manual chairs cost so much less and require less care?

Ruth said...

Very ironic!