Pages

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

A broken toilet, a wheelchair repair

Tomorrow I'm supposed to get my manual chair back. It's been in the shop for over a month because it needed a new caster.

I know. That's ridiculous. But it's the state of service for wheelchair repairs if you can't do it yourself. I lack the dexterity, although not the knowledge and now that I'm not traveling with wheelchair tennis buddies any more, finding folks to help just isn't happening. So into the shop it goes. Getting the parts took most of the time, although Meredith told them that there is a thing called overnight shipping. At one point I wondered if the parts were being carried by someone in a wheelchair, pushing across country.

I called, she called. Like we have time for this. I'm paying cash for the parts, so there's no Medicare holdup, which could have turned it into a four month wait apparently.

Meanwhile my toilet broke. A plumber was called who will be here today or tomorrow. I couldn't help but notice the many service options for my broken toilet.

I could actually manage better with a broken toilet than without my manual chair. That might surprise some folks, but it's true.

Of course no one would want to manage with a broken toilet for five or six weeks. So why does it continue to be acceptable that long waits for wheelchair repairs are common?

Where my mom lives, people with disabilities and elderly people using wheelchairs commonly wait months for repairs. Months.

When I get the manual wheelchair back , my ever recurring shoulder injuries, bilateral again, may heal. You see, because I didn't have my manual chair, I've been using equipment that doesn't fit or just crawling around to do things, like plug in my power chair. One day I even had to drop a scooter onto the ground to get into a medical appointment when I couldn't get help. Things that couldn't wait five or six weeks.

Ironically, I ponied out big bucks to buy a power chair so I could "protect" my shoulders. I retired from wheelchair tennis.

And here I sit in pain.

But my toilet will be fixed, probably tomorrow. When I get my wheelchair back.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just rent one. I'm not disabled and I know that.

Ruth said...

Anonymous:
Wheelchairs are customized and measured for people with disabilities. With my level of disability, I can't just hop into any ole' wheelchair and sit in it and push. I need an ultralightweight chair (which you can't rent)because I can't push heavier chairs. I also need the right settings so I don't fall out if I lean over to do things, especially since I live alone.

I realize people don't understand these things, but in the interest of mutual respect/communication, I do hope you'll consider a suggestion: word your comments with a bit less of an edge.

Terri said...

This is a ridiculous wait--and a very common issue for wheelchair users across the web, I see. The uproar when people can't get their cars fixed quickly is unreal...

What a pain--literally.

Ruth said...

Terri- thanks for your comment. It's true that if car repairs were handled in this time frame, people would pitch a fit.

And I think your comment shows an even better blog post title: what a pain :)

Anonymous said...

I too am sick and tired of paying with my own money for wheelchairs and being unable to get even minor repairs taken care of in a reasonable time frame. I work and can't wait weeks or months for repairs, and it always ends up with me being told two weeks but then I call to check and nothing is done. I feel your pain.

Greg (Accessible Hunter) said...

Ruth I'm sorry you are going through this, I always have the same problems. Why is it ok for PWD to wait weeks/months for service? It's a crime...or should be.

Ruth said...

bette - yeh the two weeks seems standard, which would be okay (I guess) if it was really two weeks.

Greg- thanks. It certainly seems that there are longer waiting periods affecting larger areas. Beth Haller has an article up about a Long Island place that took orders on new chairs- was going out of business -and most of the chairs (it seems) were for kids with disabilities- a question of whether their parents were told any of this...over at Media DisNDat if anyone is interested.

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised no one has mentioned a culprit in these common scenarios - insurance. As an industry, the mission is to collect premiums and restrict/delay or otherwise refuse payment for goods and services. Implementing the mission makes DME dealers and DME service providers wait for their money before providing goods and services. LOTS of documentation/paperwork delay repairs.

Despite the fact that you are paying cash for this particular item, DME businesses are all organized around insurance.

Comparison with getting a plumbing repair is appropriate. If you had an insurance policy covering your every plumbing need - or at least led you to expect plumbing is 'covered' - you would be without a functioning potty for a long time, too. Barbara

Ruth said...

Barbara, Sure DME businesses are all based on insurance. That's why delays are justified by statements like

this is the way it is
this is how long it takes
that's how it works

And you know my reaction to that? It's a disgrace that the waiting periods are inhumane, no matter why. We need to start acting like consumers, not patients. If I bought a product and I want it fixed, it should not be handled like charity or largesse.

It's time to advocate for change.

For years I bought products online and had friends repair them. I dreaded the day I had to rely on the system.

And I was right. It's insurance based, alright. Its a mess.

Anonymous said...

To Anonymous:
Renting wheelchairs is not that simple. First you have to find one that you can use or fits you. I use a power wheelchair. Mine has been having trouble and I am trying to get a new one. I have been unable to rent a power wheelchair anywhere. Companies just do not have them available to rent. It has been a nightmare since I cannot do anything when it is not working and I cannot use a manual wheelchair. Obviously you have never had the experience or you wouldn't be suggesting that is a simplet option.

Ruth said...

Miriam- I hope you can work out getting a new chair soon. I went through this myself and the wait for getting chairs is also long and difficult, resulting in not having mobility as you point out. You'll be in my prayers.