Pages

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Sitting pretty

My power chair (aka The Beast) was adjusted last night. I had the footrests raised, a Drink-Aide attached (see below) and a few other parts and pieces that had moved around properly adjusted. It raised my comfort level by 50%.

After over a decade in a wheelchair, I've learned that it isn't always the equpment you buy that matters in terms of comfort seating. I've had expensive adjustable backs and been uncomfortable since they weren't at the right angle or height, for example, while the back that comes with a chair might fit just right from the get-go or a friend or dealer might adjust it correctly. Sometimes it's about getting the most out of the equipment that's already underneath you (although there are times you need special seating systems and I'm not disputing that). But there are items I will pay for that I think are vital for comfort and health.

1. A good cushion. There are various types of cushions and you really do need to consult with health care professionals about this, because of the possibility of skin issues which can be serious.

2. Finding (and if necessary paying) a trained (or handy) person or dealer to adjust wheelchair. One adjustment can get rid of spasms, for example.

3. Accessories. When I was in a manual chair,I used a "catch all" a net that stretches across the bottom to hold items. I have always used D ring bags on the side of my chair to hold key items. A cupholder is a great accessory and some even fold against the chair frame so they aren't sticking out.

4. Tires. Everyone's needs are different with this, and tires come in various treads, sizes and vary in quality. The wrong type of tires can really ruin a manual wheelchair if they aren't suited for your use. I recommend looking at a place like sportaid.com where they carry lots of tires and experiment a bit with different types. Your bike shop can help put on /take off tires on a manual chair - even casters - if you can't do it yourself.

5. Removing pet hair from your castors helps you roll better. So does air in your tires. Maintenance, if you can't do it yourself, is worth paying for. Hire a teen if necessary!

6. Trade, sell or give away used items. Sometimes you can barter with others to get what you need instead of having to buy new. In these economic times, I've seen folks trade wheelchair parts, items they bought but don't use or need and it can make a big difference in quality of life for folks.

These are just my personal thoughts. Feel free to add your own experiences, thoughts, etc. in the comments!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you find anyone to help me with that ramp? I got your email with the numbers to call but don't feel well enough to do it.

Stan

Ruth said...

Hi Stan,
Yes I did. But you or a friend or family member need to call the person who is the first name on the list to arrange a time to meet with them. If that's a problem let me know and I'll have them call you. Hope you feel better.

Anonymous said...

I just called and the guy was really great thanks I cant wait to get out .I'm so grumpy my girlfriend just toldme.

Stan

Meredith Gould said...

Happy to read this first thing! So does this mean we (I) can now focus on adding decals and racing stripes to The Beast??

Your Aide

Ruth said...

Meredith-
Yes! I'm thinking it's time to add some reflective decals/stripes!

Ruth said...

Stan: Great! things will get better,hang in there. now you might want to give your girlfriend a hug :)

Anonymous said...

I have a buddy who works on my chairs. I can usually find people to help but if not try a gas station and tip them.

Wheelchair Dancer said...

Oh so important. I think Ziggi also has a list of maintenance tips.

Agree with the spasms and seating issues. Even changing the angle of the footplate makes a difference -- and using a neoprene pad.

Sportaid has some beautiful tyres ...

And, in addition, to the pet hair, I also frequently get knotted up in dancer hair. ... :-)

WCD

Ruth said...

Bob: Yes, gas stations, bike shops- both will usually help with certain repairs.

WCD: Yes, good to point out - Ziggi at Wheelchair Diffusion and Mark Smith over at Wheelchair Junkie are great resources online!

Arkanabar Ilarsadin said...

Proper tire inflation makes a huge difference when cycling, and I would think the same would be true of wheelchairs.