Pages

Monday, April 28, 2008

The Orphanage (2007): Movie Review

If you like horror movies, watch this. It's too scary for me to even put up the trailer on my site.

The Orphanage is a foreign horror film with subtitles, about a former orphan who goes back to buy the orphanage building to open a school for children with disabilities. She and her doctor-husband have adopted a seven year old who is HIV positive and, as they prepare the school to bring in the other children, their son discovers that he is adopted and is HIV positive. He tells his parents his invisible friends told him this and, of course, the place is haunted.

From there the plot takes off in an exciting, thrilling and scary ride. The filming is beautiful and the acting is not only excellent, but the lead actress is very convincing in her role. This movie creates a mood and then another and yet another- drawing you into it so much that you want to leave because you're a bit afraid of what will happen- but you can't. Like the lead character, you just have to see it through to the end.

And that's what makes this movie so great: unlike the babysitter who just has to open the door or answer that phone, you can't argue with the reasons why the lead character is willing to face the scary stuff. And I can't tell you that or I'll ruin the plot. Just rent it.

2 comments:

Elizabeth McClung said...

I watched this as well as it kept reminding me of some other films, the french one of the 5/6 year old whose mother had died was one. I won't talk any more about it but I did enjoy it even if I wasn't particularly surprised.

Ruth said...

Elizabeth -

Agree with you because I think I wasn't surprised by the end-however one or two plot twists did take me by surprise. But defintely by the end of the movie I kind of knew what might happen...however it was still scawy. Don't think I saw the french film you're talking about yet!!!