Pages

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Inside Out

One of my friends called last night and told me she was on her way to the gym to go swimming. She asked what I was doing and I replied "Going for a walk."

"Walk?" she said. "That sounds funny, considering."

A few years ago I might have engaged her in a conversation about it, but I was eager to get outside and have my walk.

I know that language and disability is a topic that doesn't get discussed often enough. One reason that I think it's important to write about is that some people have told me they "don't know what to say" around people with disabilities and even using a word like "walk" can feel awkward to them because, they say, I might feel offended by it. What strikes me about this is that our society has somehow mixed up what are offensive words or terms with those which are innocuous. We're caught in a loop of sweating the small stuff and it turns language inside out. And, ironically, in some peoples' zeal to be politically correct, they try to correct my language too.

I have been known to say to another friend (in a wheelchair or not) something along the lines of "Let's go for a roll", but usually I'll say "Let's go for a walk." It doesn't matter to me because the words have the same meaning. The word walk as a noun is different than a verb when I say I'm going for a walk, first of all. I can go for a walk (noun) in a wheelchair. That doesn't mean I'm going to walk (verb).

However, I am going to experience the walk-noun in very similar ways as if I was walking. (See Nature on a Joy Stick below). There are differences because I'm not walking-verb, but I know everyone experiences a walk-noun differently. And so, although I could create a new term for "going on a walk in a wheelchair" or just even say that very long phrase, I prefer saying I'm going for a walk.

This probably sounds like a semantic exercise to some and I can understand that, but here's where it matters: how the words "I'm going for a walk" are perceived when a wheelchair user says them can be attributed to the way people think about disability.

Some folks say things that seem to try to get me back inside when I'm outside. I find these comments much more offensive than whether someone uses a word like walk around me, because of their implications and the assumptions behind them.

"I hope you carry a cell phone" a woman says in an ominous tone as she passes me by. Yeah and flares too. "Are you sure that it's safe to cross the streets?" another asks as we wait for traffic to clear. (What's her plan - to fly across?) And then there's this one: "Aren't you worried about tipping over?" I guarantee you that people who are walking are more likely to trip than me tip.

Being out and about, which is what taking a walk is, is a part of the experience of having a disability just as much as for someone who is living without a disability. So when some people act surprised that I'm taking a walk or say that the phrase "I'm taking a walk" sounds funny, I think it goes more to the perception that people with a disability can't do such things.

So the next time you worry about what words you use, remember this: using the same terminology can be a way to turn assumptions inside out.

2 comments:

Courageous Grace said...

Great post. It reminds me of a friend of mine, William, who is blind. Our little circle of friends has been together for years. Now, asking William if he wants to go see a movie isn't as weird as I thought it was when I first met him.

Because he does see things...he just doesn't see things like those of us who use our eyes do.

Being friends with William has definitely changed the way I see and interact with people with a disability.

There are, however, sometimes amusing circumstances that arise with William (that he finds amusing as well) such as the first time he held my 3 month old baby. We had the hardest time trying to explain to him to relax and lower the arm and shoulder that was supporting George's head (his shoulder was hunched way up and his elbow was even with his shoulder...a very uncomfortable way for ANYONE to hold a baby!). I'm hoping he's a bit more relaxed next time, lol!

Ruth said...

LOL Reminds me of the first time I saw my brothers hold infants - coaching was needed too.

I really think that being around a person with a disability is THE way to develop a comfort level which is why it's sad that some people avoid it or even act in ways where their kids are afraid to. It's good to know that George will grow up knowing William and won't ever have those fears because he has a great mom :)