Pages

Friday, April 25, 2008

Free ebooks

As I use my Kindle more each day, I'm finding resources out there I'd like to share with others. Ebooks can be read (depending on your level of disability) in various ways - on handhelds or on your computer via software. I'm finding that the "mobi" files work best on Kindle (only if they are DRM free) ,although a few sites (like manybooks and feedbooks) have a Kindle version available, which makes it even easier. What I do is download the file to my desktop and then drag/drop it onto the Kindle, but I know people who download directly from feedbooks onto their kindle.

Here are a few sites I've found with books that are classic or have creative commons licenses:


Project Gutenberg
Feedbooks
Many Books
A mobile version of feedbooks is available here


I've found that Baen and Tor offer free scifi/fantasy books to readers with registration. If you'd like more links for DRM-free ebooks in that genre, go to David Bean's blog post here.

I'll be back to post more as I find it.

I also want to add a link to podiobooks, where you can find free audio books for your mp3 player or to play on your computer.

No comments: