Pages

Monday, November 26, 2007

Buddy and the Beast

My cat Buddy has had his limits tried ever since I started testing mobility devices out. I've gone through a series of wheelchairs trying to determine what will work best. Because my home has narrow hallways and one of Buddy's favorite places to crash out is the hall, this has really tested his ability to adapt.

But he is a cat. I was impressed with how he gave me exactly enough room to get by with each wheelchair. On the other hand, I found myself looking down, trying to judge where I was so I didn't hit the wall or him as he calmly blinked at me. It was like having a feline traffic cop waving a paw at me, saying "Go on - lots of room."

And then I got a demo chair that I dubbed The Beast. It's not called that because it's huge - because in the realm of power chairs it's not. I called it that because it climbs over almost any obstacle. This chair just doesn't take no for an answer.

The Beast got Buddy's attention. It was the first chair he felt intimidated by. I saw him circling around it when I wasn't in it, sniffing it, putting a paw on the wheels and even meowing at it. It was as if he knew he'd met a contender. House cat meets the Lion King. When I entered the hallway with the Beast, Buddy moved. When I entered a room, he stood up and watched the chair without removing his gaze. I was astounded.

I'll never know what happened that caused a different reaction in Buddy to the Beast. He's always been around wheelchairs and I've never seen him afraid of one before or even wary of one.

A few days later I went into the kitchen in another wheelchair. There was Buddy - curled up, sleeping in the Beast. I rolled over, leaned down and said "Everything okay?"

He rolled over on his back and extended his paw toward the joystick, trying to get it to work. I sighed.

Yes, everything was back to normal in Buddy's world. Somehow he conquered the Beast and discovered it was just another wheelchair.

Speaking of cats and wheelchairs, enjoy this piece entitled Tom and Jerry by the Disabled Avant Garde



About this piece:

"A Collaborative work by the Disabled Avant-Garde (artists Katherine Araniello and Aaron Williamson)

Tom and Jerry: in this piece the DAG's frequent use of 'blue screen' filming and technology reaches its apogee in a cartoonish, slapstick homage to their 'cat-and-mouse' heroes. Traditionally, cartoons and animation are considered to be very accessible to disabled people. Here, the DAG perform an hilarious chase through their 'mama's' house, bumping into cartoon furniture and whacking each other with pots and pans. The anthropomorphism that is an integral factor in the appeal of cartoon characters once again takes on new resonance through the 'filter' of disability. Compare this knockabout, no-holds-barred romp with the careful tiptoeing around disabled people in real life, wrapping them in cotton wool and avoiding causing any offence."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great video. I'd be interested in seeing more art work from disabled artists if you find any.

My cat sleeps in my wheelchair as well. She thinks it's more comfy than the couch or bed I guess!

Ruth said...

Isabel,
I'm sure our wheelchairs are more comfy with what the cushions cost LOL I have a few more posts about artists with disabilities if you click on the tag - and when I find more, I'll put them up. Also check out Disability Culture Watch (in my blogroll), Wheelchair Dancer , and as usual if any readers would like to leave links I'd ask them to!

Anonymous said...

My cats fight over my wheelchair when I get out of it at night. A few times they both tried to squeeze into it but that usually ends in a fight.