Pages

Friday, October 5, 2007

UK woman barred from nightclub due to crutches

A UK woman was told that she would have to leave her crutches by the door in order to enter a London nightclub, according to this story

The nightclub manager stands behind the decision made by staff and claims it was made on advice of counsel. The decision has been called

"absolutely ludicrous' by the Disability Rights Commission.

Jennifer Bartle, 20, said she felt "angry and humiliated" after she was refused entry on the grounds her crutches could be potential offensive weapons.

Miss Bartle, who suffers from a bone disease, informed the Commission after she was denied access to the Hush Enigma Club in Newton Abbot, Devon.
"

The DRC stated that:

"She needs a written justification from the nightclub as to why they have effectively banned her. It seems clear to us she was being treated very unfairly, the nightclub should know better," they added.

Miss Bartle also raised the issue with her MP, Liberal Democrat Richard Younger-Ross, who said today: "This is an unbelievable decision by the nightclub to deny a young disabled girl access.

"The club are almost certainly in breach of the disability rights legislation."


via www.thisislondon.co.uk

As the article points out, any number of objects could be considered "weapons" that could be thrown. Hmmm, I bet some commentors could name a few....

2 comments:

Nora Wiles said...

I would like to point out that I have been told by night clubs in Washington, DC (Cafe Citron to be precise) that I could not come in with my motorized wheelchair because it was too crowded. There was a huge line at the door, and my friends and I waited in line like everyone else. When we got to the front, the bouncer told us we couldn't come in..even if we waited for a few more people to come out. It was humiliating, and since I was with a big group and we had already wasted 45 minutes in the line, we decided to go somewhere else instead of making an issue of it. While usually, I do not dwell or even think much about the fact that I use a wheelchair, these incidents remind me with a humiliating, public, slap on the face. I suppose it is my punishment for trying to lead an active social life.

Ruth said...

Nora,
Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm sure your comment will help someone. I do believe that when we share what happens to us it helps others - because it becomes more clear that we as individuals are not to blame (although it can feel that way). It also lets people know that those who do take action do so , in part, to make it easier for the next person who comes along - to save him/her from going through this kind of thing. I think it's very sad when people with disabilities undergo this kind of treatment - on many levels.