Pages

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Did you see the Great Pumpkin?


I know it exists. Sorry if you didn't see it. I didn't see it either - yet.

Every year those of us who sit in the pumpkin patch and wait for the Great Pumpkin know there's a good chance we won't see it. It doesn't matter to us. We still hold true to the idea because we know what it symbolizes to each of us.

To me I dream about inclusion. I dream about access. I dream about ways to help people make their dreams come true - like getting assistive technology, equipment and jobs if they want them - at decent pay - housing and transportation.

I just don't sit around the pumpkin patch all year. I work toward making some of this happen in very small ways. I think because of that I see glimpses of the Great Pumpkin's spirit all year which keeps me going. It's on a small scale but that's enough to keep the spirit alive.

To me the problem isn't whether we actually see the Great Pumpkin but whether we can imagine seeing it and if we know what it symbolizes for us. We need to keep working toward a world where those who laugh at, try to talk sense into or,yell at those who wait for such things are outnumbered by the rest of us.

Happy Halloween to everyone.

[visual description: Linus is in the pumpkin patch getting yelled at by Charlie Brown's sister, who does not believe in the Great Pumpkin. ]

2 comments:

Blog [with]tv said...

Ruth, you have such a way with words...

Happy Halloween to you too.

Ruth said...

thanks :)