Pages

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Wired wheels

Because the power chair I bought on ebay is a Jazzy, I've checked out the message boards over at their site for owners. Luckily they're pretty liberal about allowing you to participate if you buy used equipment which says a lot for them in several ways. One thing it shows is that their euipment lasts well enough that folks can buy it second hand and the other is that they follow up with technical/service advice. Kudos to them on that!

One of the things I noticed over there is how people discuss how they rig up their power chairs. One guy did a Harley theme complete with their packs and decals. Others repaint their shrouds in various colors and patterns. Many accessorize and share those ideas.

But what intrigues me as a high tech wannabe is when they talk about wiring up their chairs - using the batteries as a power source, for example, for a cell phone or other device. (As to a cell phone, the question was asked 'How many calls do you make that you need to power it up that way?") But be that as it may, there is the 'cool factor'. I could see me wiring up a laptop.

Months ago I saw a device that was designed for power chair users and posted about it. It was a central hub of electronic devices but it was contained in a shield (called the Gryphon Shield). That didn't appeal to me since I don't even like using a wheelchair tray. I'm more interested in an open space design.

I have no plans to wire my wheels. My pride technician indicated that my ebay chair is quite old - a senior citizen it seems. So I'm not going to put any extra strain on it except to have it take me around my house. However, that doesn't stop me from occasionally rolling around with my laptop - unplugged -and being a 'wired wheels wannabe'.

7 comments:

Greg (Accessible Hunter) said...

Ruth,
I think you know that I am a closet technology freak by now. I have my wireless microphone hardwire to my chair so that I can control my environment through multimedia Max. Thank you very much for posting this topic! I plan on running your review next week, thank you so much for writing it. Have a great day.
Greg

Ruth said...

Greg,
I enjoyed writing the review - my pleasure.

As for your wireless mic set up - that sounds great. Now I want to know what you have hooked up through your ECU....(ever curious)...

Greg (Accessible Hunter) said...

Ruth,
I am really a geek, I control my lights, security cameras, bed, automated doors, deadbolts and all the normal TVs, VCRs, DVD, stereos all almost by voice. The only thing not wired up is my service dog! Have a great day.
Greg

Wheelchair Dancer said...

Two questions:

Do you happen to know why the Jazzy -like things all say don't use your cell phone while the chair is on???

Have you ever experimented with E-motion wheels?

WCD

Ruth said...

There's a warning label on Jazzy's about cell phone use - microwaves, etc. that they could interfere with operation. I haven't noticed any issues myself but clearly people report them-it can affect the chair's operation.

E-motion wheels, when I checked, were so pricey that I had to eliminate them. This is unfortunate because it would be the best of both worlds - transporting a manual chair is so much easier (not sure if they add too much weight to the tires but I don't think so). I do have a constant search on for a used set that would fit my chair - no luck so far but it's a really good suggestion, thanks.

Anonymous said...

Ruth - Just checked with my friend who's a provider. He says the Emotions weigh 22 pounds per each hub.

I think you're going to have to paint that Jazzy.

Anonymous said...

One idea is to add sound effects. I got a friend to tape a motorcycle starting up and he walked behind me with the player and whenever I hit the joystick from a dead start the motorcycle sounds went off. Way cool! Let's just say we have plans for day 1 of school this year.