Pages

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Sensational headlines

I just read a news story where a Japanese man hit a road barrier, severing one of his legs and continued on driving his motorbike, not realizing that his leg was gone. He reported excruciating pain and his friend, who was behind him, picked up his leg. The man, undoubtedly, was in medical shock.

I've seen a spate of stories in the news with a disability theme that fall under the heading of "odd" or "curious" news stories in major news services. Often they play on sensational facts like this one. It's reminiscent of the old carnival freak shows where people paid to stare at "human oddities" and could satisfy their curiosity for a nickel.

But I often think of other things when I read stories like this. I wonder how the guy is going to feel when he realizes that his accident has become a sensationalized major news story.

The headline in CNN reads "Biker fails to notice missing leg". Will he feel objectified? Embarrassed? Ridiculed? Will he blame himself for this? How will this affect his recovery?

I know. I'd be a terrible reporter. But at what price do we sensationalize the accidental amputation of someone's leg with gripping headlines? Because, bottom line, that's what happened here. He had an accident that severed his leg. It couldn't be reattached because his leg was too damaged.

Is it boring to look at it that way? It's certainly less sensational. But, then again, although I don't think having a disability is a tragedy, I certainly don't feel it should be a source of entertainment in the media either.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good point. I've seen lots of stories like this in the news too.