Pages

Monday, August 13, 2007

Reading books - on your cellphone?

This article in the NY Times discusses software - and devices - you can use to read ebooks, whether it's on the fly or because you have a disability. Depending on the device, some people with disabilities can benefits from ebooks and ebook readers - although I think software on your computer is probably easier to navigate.

One ebook reader who uses his cellphone stated:

"Once you get use to having books with you, you get use to reading in places where it never occurred to you. If I’m waiting in line at the supermarket counter, why not read one of my science fiction magazines?” he said. “Believe it or not, I’ll sit down in my chair at home, pull out my phone and read a book.”

The Sony Reader, a book-shaped electronic device that displays easy-to-read print, is not the only machine well suited for reading electronic books. Many cellphones and personal digital assistants have screens with a resolution fine enough to rival that of the printed page." Via NY Times

And don't forget the iPod as a digital book reader!

The article gives links to onlline stores where you can purchase ebooks and to ebook reader programs - so click above and enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a pda I read ebooks on because it's easier than carrying books around and there's the tech-cool factor.

Ruth said...

They are tech-cool! I also like how you can increase the print size on some of the software - and some even have automatic page turning, another great feature.