Pages

Saturday, August 4, 2007

Grocery shopping from a wheelchair



A C6 quad shows how he does his food shopping, using an accessible van with a ramp to get to the store (check out how tight the parking spot is!) and a basket in his lap to carry the groceries. His wheelchair appears to be equipped with E motion wheels. These are attached to manual wheelchairs and assist in pushing. The beginning of the video shows him putting his jacket on and how he does that with his hand impairment. This is a great educational video for people who ask questions about how you can be a quadriplegic if your arms move at all - some people think only of Christopher Reeve when they think of quadriplegics. (His spinal cord injury was higher, resulting in more paralysis.)

As you'll see in the video, at his level of injury , this individual lacks finger dexterity and grasp and lifts items by using the sides of both hands. He's got his basket packing technique down to a science - when he unpacks the basket at the check out, you'll see how many items he has!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really good video. I do my shopping in the store and if I get really low on stuff I'll get things delivered. I'm a paraplegic so it's easier for me to manage in the store than this guy.

Elizabeth McClung said...

Thanks for posting this video, I like the nitty gritty and this shows a lot of that - I think the moment with the most suspence was the gallon of milk, I was "How is he going to pick up a gallon of milk?" but in the end, no problem. Helped educate me.

Anonymous said...

There's nothing like actually seeing what it looks like to help people understand. I think we need more videos like this for the public.

Ruth said...

Thanks, I just put another one up - same guy, different video- of cooking. I think these are excellent.