Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Mom of 4 on oxygen dies after power cutoff for unpaid bill of $122

A woman in New Zealand who relied on oxygen died several hours after power was cut off to her home by the power company. Relatives told the company about her physical condition and her reliance on oxygen but the cut off took place because there was an unpaid $122 bill.

"Six days before a Mercury Energy representative arrived Tuesday at the house to disconnect the electricity, she was $122 in arrears.

Sheehan said both Muliaga and her son told the technician she was dependent on the oxygen machine to stay alive and invited him into the house to see it. "Then he cut the power off," Sheehan told The Associated Press." Via CNN

An investigation is ongoing.

1 comment:

David said...

I live in WA. state. I have a disabled freind who requires home
life sustaining equipment.
There are no laws governing the
protection of these people from a
system which seems to have turned
it's back on them.
Before we decide that we want to take on all of the worlds poor and hungery. Whether or not they came
here legally or not. We need to take care of those people that were born here. Worked and paid taxes. And earned the right to be
taken care of, if life deals them a bad hand in life.
My friend has been in line at DSHS trying to get perscription coupons so that he can eat that week.
Sitting there in line with his portable O2 bottle he will see a
illegal alien in line ahead of him recieve the very coupons he needs with no questions asked. Other than...are you a illegal alien..?
Then it's his turn...20 questions later....sorry sir..you're not eligble..! Sorry people...but what the FU%K...! Lets get our heads on straight. Maybe all of the people who make these lame decisions need to live a month in my friends shoes...... David