Pages

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Sibling Mine - And parent of a child with a disability

This piece was written by my sister for National Siblings Day:


"I feel that I am at a great advantage as a mother because I have 3 siblings, two brothers and a sister. I am the youngest, and many of the experiences I had growing up with my brothers (particularly them because I have 2 boys, ages 16 and 10) I see happening now with my children.

My 10 year old son has a disability and he still competes (and wants to win!) against his brother, who is 6 years older than him. This jealousy, I feel, is the most difficult issue in parenting since neither of my sons are satisfied with the amount of attention they get from me. Since my grown brothers still feel a great sense of competition, which I have seen my mother struggle with them about to this day, I try to handle these issues with humor and loving discipline.

On the other hand, my sister and I have been through many stages of development with our relationship, and have reached
a point where we can depend, confide, console, and trust one another. She is 8 years older than I am, and we have still reached this point, which I feel is a great accomplishment, and a huge comfort to me. There is nothing like the security of knowing you have a sibling who is there for you!

HAPPY SIBLINGS DAY 2007!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boys! My brothers were the same way. I remember once they fought over a piece of cake because it was bigger than the other piece and when my parents found out they gave both pieces of cake to me to teach them not to fight. Did it work ? No! LOL

Anonymous said...

Nice to meet you! I enjoy Ruth's blog and it's great to hear from her sister. My sons act like that too sometimes. I always hope they'll grow out of it!

Viv