Pages

Sunday, March 25, 2007

"Perils for Pedestrians"

is a public affairs television series that looks at problems confronting pedestrians in their communities, and solutions to those problems from across the United States, and around the world. Over at Rollingrains Report, Scott has posted a video of an interview with a blind pedestrian and a wheelchair user who discusses universal design. Definitely worth checking out.

Highlights for me included that we need to raise awareness regarding the dangers of turns on red lights to blind pedestrians who have been injured - this woman described having her cane knocked out of her hand as she was knocked to the ground on all fours when someone made a right or left on red. I also found the wheelchair interviewee to be helpful in terms of raising awareness that without transportation, people can remain "prisoners" in their homes and that their homes can become like institutions if they cannot access transportation to go out and do the things they need or want to.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My beef is curbcuts in the wrong places or not there. I could get killed some day by a SUV trying to cross the street because I'm forced to take a path outside of the designated crosswalk because they don't put curbcuts where they should be or use one instead of two and angle them. So I'm out of the line of vision of cars and looking around and behind me to make sure no one is going to hit me.

Anonymous said...

I did an interview in Madison a couple of years ago regarding diagonal curbcuts. It is on Episode 35 of "Perils For Pedestrians" on Google Video:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4976714729515310768

John Z Wetmore
www.pedestrians.org