Pages

Thursday, March 22, 2007

Behind closed doors: when a service does us a disservice

When all is said and done about funding difficulties for personal care assistants, I find that there are still inherent difficulties in the arrangement as it is set up in many areas.

We can all agree that the pay scale is horrendously low for personal care assistants. These folks are being asked to perform a multitude of tasks that vary from day to day. Some of the tasks are distasteful, boring or time consuming. It is, in some respects, a job many people would not want. And nothing I write from here on in changes any of those injustices from the pca's point of view. Like many other people with disabilities, I can understand that these problems add to high turnover and poor attitude toward the job.

As a person with a disability, however, my perspective is different. I feel that even if we solved some of these problems, the way these services are being delivered is a fundamental part of the problem. I cannot tell you how often I have worked with a personal care assistant (and make no mistake about it - having one is work) and found it a frustrating experience. And this happens even when the pca has demanded - and received- extra compensation from me in order to even show up. The money is not the entire issue. Because of the way society views people with disabilities, we need to revamp the way these services are provided. This is because the current delivery of services is based on outdated beliefs that most people with disabilities are passive recipients of services.

Why do I say this? Because, in my past experience*, the majority of pca's do not treat their job as a job. They do not show up on time. They are not accountable for what they do - or do not do. This means I have to bring in another person to finish or do their work. They call their friends and family, doctors, car mechanics, etc. during the short hours I am allotted while my time is tied up waiting for them to help me. Some of them bring food and try to squeeze in a half hour of eating during my allotted hours.

This litany of rants is not to condemn pca's - although it may be taken that way . It's to highlight the fact that, along with adjusting the pay scale for pca's, we need to take a good hard look at the level of care that is being provided. I certainly support better pay and working conditions for pca's. I used to work as one for four dollars an hour years ago.

But I also want to see a dialogue started that includes our voices - those of us with disabilities who hire pca's and know the ins and outs of how to and how not to do the job. Being a pca is a service job that involves providing a service to the consumer. Too many times it is treated as if it is not about the person with a disability at all but a matter of just showing up - whenever - and writing it down on a piece of paper. We need a system where there is accountability for job performance just as there is for other jobs.

Saying these things, of course, puts me out on a limb. Any time any of us speak up about poor service from a pca, we put ourselves at risk of being the problem. We all know the drill. The agency tells us we are being unreasonable and difficult. Social workers tell us we have to make compromises. A checkmark is put next to our name on the agency list and we are told we have to find our own aides. This is what keeps many people with disabilities quiet.

Meanwhile we're looking across the room at a pca who is on our couch, watching our TV and eating Cheese Doodles. And we remain hungry, unbathed and in the same clothes we were in when she arrived.

Even considering backlash, we need to speak up about what goes on behind closed doors.

(*This post specifically refers to pca's I have worked with in the past.)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some pca's don't need supervision. But lots do. I can't tell you how many pca's pull things on me. Stealing, making long disstance calls, tha tkind of stuff is a starter. Then trying to get reliability so I can plan my life is a huge prolbem. There's no reason why we can't solve this so things are better.

Joe

Anonymous said...

Like you Ruth I currently have a caring pca who is good to me. But I went through lots of people like you describe on here. Theres very little training if any by agencies who charge alot per hour to send pca's to us. Plus they don't oversee their employees and tell us to do it but when we "complain" to them they stop sending people. Good post. Remember folks its an election year.

Anonymous said...

I worked as a pca for five years while I went to college. The money wasn't great but it was flexible hours and helped me pay for stuff. I don't think money changes the way people come to this job. Some of the people I met doing this job weren't people I would want taking care of my dog to be honest. They shouldn't have been hired.Why don't the agencies screen better and train people and weed them out? Because that costs money and time too. This dirty little secret behind closed doors of sending just anyone in to help needs to be talked about.

Amanda

Anonymous said...

I don't know about the accuracy of this, Ruth. My pca always ate Lays potato chips! seriously I deal with hiring and firing and frequent turnover because I refuse to pay for someone to sit around. I'm considered unreasonable and difficult but I don't act like that at my job and I don't want it when I'm paying someone either. The times they are a'changing.

Anonymous said...

My parents are dead and I rely on an aide for total help. I have to go along with whatever the aide says. I am not able to take care of myself have no car and no money to hire anyone else. So it's better than a nursing home except when she doesn't show up or help for some weeks. There's nothing you , me or anyone can do to make this better though. It's just the way it is. I eat what she gives me and I go along with it. You should too. Or you won't get any help. I won't sign my name because I'm afraid but you shold be afraid too talking like this against aides. You need them and waht they do is all you get.

Ruth said...

Dear anonymous,
I got your email and wanted to respond to your comment too. Please don't be frightened for me. My aide totally understands why I speak up about these issues to help all of us and make things better. I know that you're very afraid. You're in a tough spot. Maybe we can make things better. If not today or tomorrow, maybe soon. Stay strong.

Anonymous said...

My last aide told me she had to take the job to keep welfare happy. She said she was too tired to do anything whenever she showed up then watched tv. If I stood up to her about doing things she got angry. She hit my dog. I told her not to come back but had no aide for a few weeks. Why do I have to go through this kind of thing? It's not fair.

Anonymous said...

To anonymous - It is absolutely not fair, and it is absolutely wrong. I hope that you can find a person to speak up to and honestly share your experiences, someone that can advocate with you for change. But, even speaking honestly here on this blog, you are letting others who are ignorant of these situations see a glimpse of the abuse that you live with. The system cannot change if we live in ignorance and denial.
Janet