Pages

Monday, February 26, 2007

The Scooter Police - Of unsolicited advice from strangers and disability

Ever get unsolicited advice? Sure, everyone has.

And it can be really annoying, even when it's well intentioned. Because the truth is that it's unsolicited. The person giving the advice does so without asking or maybe even considering whether you want it - or need it. (Those are two separate issues, but as adults, we have the right to determine whether we want to hear it anyway!)

Before I acquired quadriplegia (ebay Item # 34890), I received some unsolicited advice. It didn't happen frequently and it really wasn't an issue in my life. I would set a boundary and the other person either would or wouldn't back off, but it just didn't occur too often.

However, since I've been disabled, unsolicited advice from relative strangers occurs more frequently. It often comes in the guise of "If I were you, this is how I would handle being a quad". And this coming from people who walk and can move their arms, hands and fingers appears ridiculous to me. Especially when you add the factor that this person may just have met me or only has occasional contact with me and really knows nothing about what my life is about.

Don't get me wrong - it's not that I never need advice. It's just that I have certain people whom I will ask advice of - those I've selected over my years of living. Some of those people are able bodied, so that's not the only criterion I'm using. But certainly they are people who know me intimately.

It's a privacy issue. I don't really want to hear what someone thinks she would do if she was a quad. Nor do I want to hear how she disagrees with the way I handle my disability.

Yesterday a woman approached me in the grocery store while I was shopping. She said "I really think, if I was you, that I would use one of those scooters to shop. Why don't I go with you and we'll get you one?"

Now I can't use a scooter because I don't have the trunk control to sit up in one. Nor can I transfer into one in the first place. I always get a mental picture of myself draped over a grocery scooter cart and someone on the intercom saying "Pickup in aisle three - quadriplegic down."

This is not the first time someone has approached me and told me I should use a scooter. In fact, I call these folks the Scooter Police. I wonder what their deal is - have they raised money to buy these scooters so they want to make sure they're utilized fully? Do they sell these scooters?

My reply to her was a simple "No."

Like others before her, she continued on. She had everything but the Scooter Police badge. "But those scooters are meant for people like you to help you. If I were you, I'd do everything I could to make things easier on myself."

"This is none of your business," I replied, meanwhile trying to decide if I wanted cherry or strawberry yogurt.

When I looked up she had left. Boundary set, encounter over.

And I'm thinking "This is why I use Peapod." But it's interesting, I suppose, to watch able bodied people imagine how they would handle my disability.

I just wish they wouldn't share.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is funny and true. When I go out in my wheelchair to stores, I get suggestions about everything from complete strangers especially when my family isn't around and I'm out by myself.

Nice blog here.

Rosemary said...

Pickup on aisle three ... Now how am I supposed to think about important things when you make me laugh so hard!?!

The one that has always bothered me is the way total strangers will touch a pregnant woman's belly!! Don't these people know about personal space???

Katja said...

Hello everyone, my name is Katja, and I...I...I...(looks down in shame) touch pregnant women's bellies!!

(all together now: Hi, Katja!)

I know I shouldn't do it.

Edward said...

The closest I came to your incident was 12 years ago, shortly after I moved here to Morgantown, on my first trip to the Giant Eagle grocery store out by the Mountaineer Mall. I'd barely gotten into the produce section, pushing a regular size shopping cart in front of my wheelchair, when one of the employees came up to me to tell me they had a cart that I could attach to my armrests...

Whereupon I pointed out to him that my wheelchair *does not have armrests*.

It's fun to shred the boxes that AB's try to put us in. :-)

Ruth said...

db- personal space? where? LOL
katja - thanks for stopping by! (almost said thanks for sharing...) btw that cartoon on your blog at brokenclay.org is very funny
edward- the armrest thing - oh yeah. I also have people asking why I have no push handles. I explain that I push myself but some assume it was an error and they were left off!

Anonymous said...

You know what's really funny about that? I've had people tell ME I should have a power chair instead of my scooter. (I love having the tiller to hang onto; for me, that feels more secure).

And if I had a nickel for every time I have been referred to the Scooter Store when mine is in the shop... I could buy a very nice spare for cash.

I've also had people tell me where I should live (in specialized housing, of course!)

Ruth said...

tvs- well the scooter police would probably want you in one of the store scooters anyhow! yup unsolicited advice! I get the line: You live alone? and i say no i have a cat...

Edward said...

Oh yeah, that reminds me, I have also had people tell me on occasion that I should get a power chair. My response to that is usually some variation of "I don't need one". (I'm a para with good upper body strength.)

Then I also get my coworkers who, when winter rolls around, tell me I should get winter treads for my wheels. (I play along with that comment, as I figure it's not totally serious. :-) )

Ruth said...

edward - i hear the winter treads comment alot too - usually folks are joking ! i do love going out in the snow and sliding around - it's like another wheelchair sport.