Pages

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

My assist cat


[Visual description: Whimsical drawing of a cat sitting on an office chair talking on a phone.]

I'm in the kitchen when I hear it - the sound of my new voice activated phone asking "Name to dial please?"

And then I hear the answer "Meow."

I roll into the other room - my cat Buddy is sitting near the phone, his paw resting near the "On" button, looking down at the phone as it says "I'm sorry but I do not recognize this name" and hangs up.

Buddy raises his paw and brings it down on the "on" button again. The dial tone goes on and the phone asks "Name to dial please?"

"Meow."

"Janet," the phone says and begins to dial one of my friends long distance.

Great. My cat is training the voice recognition on my phone. I shoo him away and go back into the kitchen.

I hear it again. "Name to dial please?"

"Meow."

This time I have no idea who he called, but the phone is madly dialing the digits. I roll back into the room and shoo him away from the phone. He sits on the desk with a satisfied look on his face.

Another assistive device conquered.

5 comments:

Rosemary said...

Oh, if you only knew how much I needed to laugh right now!! Let's see you explain these long distance charges to your phone company!LOL

You mean you don't have a silly telephone?

Smart cat.

Rosemary said...

I just had a thought, Ruth. Why not really let the cat program his Meow and have it call something like the weather or time. Then, at least, the voice recognition won't be really dialing somebody!!

Ruth said...

I'm thinking the vet!

Anonymous said...

That is a great story! Of course, the reason we don't really have assist cats is that they only do the things that please them... I used to have 2 cats, and they were amazingly smart at anything that interested them.

I was in need of a laugh, too - thank you!

Ruth said...

LOL I'm glad you enjoyed it.