Pages

Saturday, February 24, 2007

Is *my * parish inclusive?

This is the most frequently asked question I get in my mailbox. People with and without disabilities ask me this all of the time. So let me answer it here on the blog (and then I can refer people to this post)!

Yes, my parish, St. Charles Borromeo in Skillman NJ, is inclusive.

I'll tell you why.

-I have opportunities to fully participate as a parishioner in all activities and volunteer opportunities.
-Mutual communication exists about any needs for accommodations for my disability. This extends well beyond obvious issues such as a ramp or parking spaces (although those are important) and is addressed on a personal level in a respectful way.
-Our pastor, Msgr. Malovetz, promotes a welcoming atmosphere with an emphasis on community and inclusion
-The pastoral council and parish staff are individually and, as a group, receptive to suggestions regarding plans for inclusion and willing to discuss ways to implement them
-There is a recognition that inclusion is a two way street .
-Inclusion is treated as a spiritual right in our community, not to be withheld from people who are excluded in society
-Social outreach extends far beyond a mere greeting at Mass on Sunday - our clergy and laity are active in many areas of service work and attend to both spiritual and practical needs of others
-Inclusion is practiced as part of our faith life and the teachings of the Catholic church

When you drive up to our church, there is a sign proclaiming that we are a Catholic community. I get tears in my eyes whenever I see it because I spent years looking for a church community that would be receptive to not only my needs, but allow me to use my gifts and talents.

So the answer is - yes, my parish is inclusive. And yours can be too. If it is, that's wonderful. If it isn't, there are ways to work toward that - together - in an atmosphere of mutual respect.

It's been a wonderful journey, but not always an easy one. That's because inclusion takes work - facing attitudes and obstacles and barriers that perhaps people do not even realize exist.

I am happy to extend any help I can to clergy, laity or people with disabilities, their parents, friends or family to make that journey toward inclusion a positive and faith filled one.

[This is a repost in response to questions I receive in email. ]

4 comments:

seahorse said...

Hi, I'm not feeling very socially included where I live at the moment so I found your post very helpful. What's hard for me is that I made my situation worse (not intentionally) by cutting myself off from people when I first became ill. Now I'm trying to get back out there, and it's hard. Blogging helps, that's for sure.

Ruth said...

seahorse- that IS hard. It's easy to get cut off socially when you're ill and out of the loop. If you can, I'd suggest joining a group at your church (a small one maybe) so you get to know people better. It takes time. Glad you're coming by here too - we have a lot in common. (Well, we all do, but sometimes we don't see it LOL)

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Hi, NJ Neighbor!! (I'm in northern Burlington County and belong to a parish of the same name as yours). Sounds like you have a REALLY good parish there. You are blessed!

Ruth said...

Hi Barb! Yeah we are neighbors - just a stone's throw away.Same name- how cool!