Pages

Monday, January 22, 2007

Where can you find a quad, over a dozen blind people, several guide dogs and some vikings?

It's got to be at Ski for Light!

I'm just back from the Northeastern Regional Ski for Light program held annually in Land of the Vikings, Sherman Pennsylvania. It's a cross country skiing program held for those with visual and mobility impairments. Skiers are paired with sighted guides who teach them the basics of cross country skiing and, with more advanced participants, accompany them on trails and fields.

There is also plenty of time for socializing.

Ski for Light has programs across the country if you're interested in participating.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My only wish, when you post these great things, is that you could get someone else to take a photo of you. Your descriptions are great but hey! I'm a visual person.

The practical side of me is also very glad that there are venues who open their doors to this kind of event, rather than worrying about liability issues. I know from years of running dance events that insurance and liability close doors to a lot of really good events.

It's nice to have you back.

Ruth said...

Thanks -it's good to be back. I ordered photos on CD so will post them when they arrive! I did find some photos on another site that gives you an idea of what the adaptive equipment looks like!