Pages

Saturday, January 13, 2007

"What's that Mommy?"

I went out to the mall to get some aerobic exercise which is always exciting on a Saturday. When it's crowded, I spend most of my time dodging what appear to be herds of toddlers set loose by their parents in the aisles. Most of them can barely walk and all of them turn to me, point at my wheelchair and gurgle something like "what's that mommy?"

Sometimes they hop into my lap which, although it's amusing, really slows me down. I have to put them down as they're screaming "I want a ride !"

At least they can see that riding in a wheelchair is a superior form of mobility. I think it's because they haven't had a chance to swallow the erroneous assumption that being in a wheelchair is some tragic fate and that people in wheelchairs are objects of pity.

Instead they see the wheelchair as an object of curiosity. To them it's a new and exciting adventure- one they don't want to miss. The kids that are old enough to talk sometimes ask me if it's a bicycle.

Their parents often look confused and even worried about their enthusiasm for my wheelchair, not realizing that the kids have it right-riding in a wheelchair can be exciting and fun.

It's all about perception and the way we frame things.

So as much as I would prefer to get around the mall faster, I must admit that when I have to stop for toddlers, their reaction is always a reminder to me that life should always include time for new adventures and a sense of curiosity.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful way of looking at the world of children. In many ways they do seem to have clearer perceptions of reality than adults.

Ruth said...

Thanks for stopping by, Jan. Agreed!

Sue said...

I use a mobility scooter and my little 3 legged dog travels with me. One day he was on his lead walking in front of the scooter (instead of on it as he usually does) and some kids stopped dead in their tracks and the leader (who obviously thought Skippy was pulling me and the scooter) said in an awed voice:
"Thats one STRONG dog!"

I still chuckle when I think about that.

Ruth said...

That's a great story - thanks for posting it!