Pages

Monday, January 15, 2007

Sainthood for caregivers.....


I wonder sometimes why most of what I read about caregivers online is limited to forums for them.

There isn't enough written about caregivers as models for sainthood.

Think about it. It's a profession (when done with the right motives/attitude), not a job, where a person acts on behalf of someone else as their eyes, hands, legs (fill in the blank) so the person with a disability can live a fuller and more productive life.

Have you ever helped someone in the grocery store? Perhaps a person in a wheelchair has asked for your help to reach something. Perhaps you said no and walked away. But chances are you probably retrieved it for her, gave it to her and went on your way.

Caregivers don't go on their way. They stay. For hours if necessary. And they come back, day after day.

They say yes.

If this isn't grounds for sainthood, I'm not sure what is. Some people tell me "It's their job". But it goes beyond that when caregiving is done as a profession. A professional caregiver knows how to :

*focus on the recipient's needs
* give personal space to the recipient , remaining nonjudgmental
* keep private personal information they know by virture of their presence

All of this requires a sense of spiritual maturity, a giving heart and an ability to set their own ego aside.

Of course I just answered my own question. The reason I don't see writings about or by professional caregivers is that they respect the privacy of the recipients.

And this is a tough standard. But they are out there.

And by the grace of God, I have one. I thank her from the bottom of my heart.

5 comments:

TOMAS said...

Thank you for the wonderful article "Sainthood for caregivers".

Frequently such lovely words are one and only reward that these people earn. I say so because quite many caregivers "work" (SHARE the LOVE -are alive) on a voluntary basis.
I haven’t in mind myself, no. I just recalled the Psychiatric hospital where art therapy club Modus Vivendi was established. Long and narrow and dark passages and the amazing colors of the flowers in the drawings ... wow!

I am happy to edit Modus Vivendi' blog. And thank you in the name of all there.
We rejoice at colorful pictures, but they wither in obscurity. However, Sun revive in publicity and I heartily invite you to visit us. Let's have a fellowship.

P.S
My English is not very good and as editor I too haven’t any practice therefore excuse me for some ,maybe, unfit to place personalities and scroll down till end of the blog for to capture though some flame that burns in our hearts

Ruth said...

Thanks for your post and the work you do. (I understand your English but you are right - the flame that burns in our hearts, that is the important thing!)

Rosemary said...

What a loving tribute to your own care giver and the many others who are just as devoted.

Ruth said...

db - and yourself, as you lovingly care for your dad. blessings,
Ruth

Anonymous said...

Check out the Friends of St. John the Caregiver!
It's an internationl Catholic organization promoting care for family caregivers.
www.FSJC.org