Pages

Monday, January 29, 2007

A Monday morning in white.....


I awoke this morning to a snow covered ramp, car and driveway.

The snow was beautiful while it was falling last night as I fell asleep. I looked out of the window several times and remarked to my cat "Isn't that nice? How wintry."

But reality always sets in when we have to get around in the white stuff. So when I looked outside this morning and saw that the snow was still there, I groaned.

It was then that I heard the scraping. Someone was outside, scraping snow off of my car windows. Then I heard them shoveling my ramp. Wordlessly, silently, this person dug me out, then drove to work.

Her thoughtful and generous help made it possible for me to independently get out.

Immediately I pulled myself out of bed with my trapeze and had some coffee. I no longer felt overwhelmed and trapped.

I'm always humbled by the flat out generous help I get from others. Their sacrifice of time, whether it be ten minutes or one minute, makes the difference sometimes between whether I can be independent or not the rest of my day. Most of those who help me do so quietly.

I am long past the stage of having people around who are helping me because it will, they believe, make them look good. Those who have stuck around show a quiet strength of character and a spiritual way of life that is referred to by one of my blind friends as "rare birds". Often only they and I know their good deeds and sacrifices.

So here it is, another Monday morning and I am yet again freed by the spiritual generosity of another human being.

It is beautiful outside, isn't it?

2 comments:

Rosemary said...

THOSE are the kinds of deeds that get stars added to crowns - the kind where only God knows who did it.

Ruth said...

Very true!