Pages

Friday, January 12, 2007

"Churches neglect older folks - potlucks won't do"

Via Christian Post, this article posits that churches are not including the senior population of baby boomers, including the 50 plus crowd, in their ministry.

I don't find this to be true in my parish. We have many seniors actively and visibly involved in activities, service work and social activities. They are a vital and important part of our staff and congregation.

Many of the parish's programs, including the caregiver program, addresses the needs of the elderly and their families. I have also witnessed an informal network of seniors helping each other out - which I believe meets the needs of some of the independent older parishioners who find themselves "in the same boat" so to speak, facing health issues, changing their housing, dealing with social isolation, etc.

I pray frequently for discernment regarding a ministry for the disabled - and its intersection with elderly issues. They overlap, yet some issues for people with disabilities are different. I have spoken at our caregiver group and worked to build some resources for them on a very very informal basis because I have access to some information. However, those experiences have made it clear to me that parishes have separate ministries for the disabled for very good reasons.

The Catholic church has encouraged people with disabilities to start ministries which are sprouting up, side by side, with programs that are geared more toward elder care and elder needs. This is a positive recognition that there are different needs for those with disabilities. As time goes on, we will see more growth in this area. But those of us with disabilities have to step up to the plate and get active. It will also take time to develop a ministry in an individual parish - unless one single person wants to do it alone.

The joke I use with this is "I can't have an inclusion committee of one!" as I look for others wanting to start a disability ministry. However, I believe, as my Quaker friends say "The way will open".

This is an exciting time of social change as the baby boomers age - one that is rife with opportunities for ministry and service.

4 comments:

Rosemary said...

It's certainly true in our church that the older adults finance the youth programs. We still have traditional services, except for a very occasional youth program, usually at night. We have an active home bound ministry and a nursing home ministry. The most active people in our church, overall, are the Seniors, so I don't think our church fits the writer's description at all. We only have a few disabled individuals among our church family, but they are certainly included in any activities they want to be involved in. We do not, however, have any outreach program for community disabled people. That's something to think about.

Ruth said...

Thanks for your thoughts on this. I think the years ahead hold a great opportunity For inclusion!

sd said...

I just got back into the church by the way of the disabled ministy.
We have a good disabled church always 5 disabled or the ir family menber at chuch. I went to Sunday
min mass today and was told to
sit by the sign so fr could give
me, commeme.

Ruth said...

sd- that's great that the disabled ministry has been such a help. thanks so much for leaving a comment.