Pages

Sunday, December 31, 2006

Hire John Trowbridge!

Who is John Trowbridge?

He's the guy who is the "ball dropper" for the Times Square New Year's Eve celebration.He was just on TV explaining how the whole deal works - demonstrating the technology behind his job.

However, as he pointed out, the downside of this gig is that he needs to find another job by tomorrow.

I don't know about you, but I can relate to that feeling. Sometimes I stop in the middle of what I am doing, whether it's my advocacy work, writing, peer counseling, playing wheelchair tennis, handcycling, etc. and I think to myself - what will my "job " be tomorrow?

More importantly, how should I be spending my time tomorrow? How should I discern God's will when making those choices?

I turn to prayer. I ask God frequently to "tap me on the shoulder" spiritually so that I can make better decisions. When it comes to time, I feel a sense of stewardship and realize that it has been given to me. I could be dramatic and tell you that I saw my life pass before my eyes when I had my car accident years ago - and after that realized my mortality.

But the truth is (and it's much less exciting) that the precious value of time has really been a lesson I've learned with aging. As the years go by and I experience how much of life is a circle in which we all play a small but vital part, I've learned the value of "showing up" to do my piece. This means being open to what my role is in any given situation and being willing to play it, even when it's not the lead or the role I wanted at all.

I don't know what John Trowbridge will choose to do next after he drops the ball tonight heralding the start of 2007. But whatever it is, I'll remember him fondly as a brother who shares the same day to day journey of finding his way to be useful to others.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great New Year's Eve post. I can relate. Sometimes we play a one night role and other times we are in for the long haul. I've been in my job for ten years and am leaving next week for a new one. It was a tough decision but the make up of people changed and my work has become work, not a vocation anymore. Wish me luck!

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year. Thanks for your support this year. I hope you keep doing this blog for a long time.

Ken

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rosemary said...

As one who deals with our situation one day at a time, I can relate to this post as well. May God grant us the wisdom to hear His still small voice and heed its call daily.

Ruth said...

Happy New Year, db. God bless.