Pages

Monday, November 6, 2006

Spiritual rest

Psalm 116:7 Return unto thy rest, O my soul; for the LORD hath dealt bountifully with thee.

I've grappled with the concept of physical rest at times in my life. When I was in college, I befriended a student from Holland who used to nap every day around lunchtime. This baffled me, but she told me that she awoke refreshed and had a much more productive day afterwards.

Maybe that's why it's taken me so long to understand the concept of spiritual rest. I don't think there are many books of the bible that talk about spiritual rest more than the Psalms.

When I read these passages, I am always reminded that God's grace provides me with the spiritual rest I need and crave no matter what my life circumstances may be. When I'm doing HIs will, the balance is there in my life. When I'm not doing God's will, I am completely out of balance and therefore do not achieve spiritual rest.

I've tested this out many times - although not consciously setting out to do so. Usually I just take a wrong turn somewhere and do not make a choice based on sound spiritual judgment and I am thrown back onto my own resources - which do not include spiritual rest, physical rest or any type of rest! I am quickly out of sorts, tired and all kinds of frustrated.

But at least I'm getting better at spotting when this happens and trying to align myself back into God's will. I can tell within a short time when this happens because I feel an inner sense of peace and rest that is missing when I am not so aligned.

It is true that God is bountiful with me when I simply listen and try to discern what to do next and put God first. All my needs are taken care of and, at those times, my soul is at rest.

2 comments:

Rosemary said...

You're still talking about the "sweet spot," but just not about tennis this time, Ruth. When we are aligned with God's will, we sense His peace as the Holy Spirit works in us in harmony.

Ruth said...

So true! Thank you for your comment...