Pages

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Tolerance and Respect

True tolerance always presupposes respect for the other, for man, who was created by God, whose existence was wanted by God.
Pope Benedict XVI

Semantics are a dangerous thing.

For example, we Catholics can argue amongst ourselves about issues. If we are not respectful of each other as we do so, we sin. We show intolerance. Our arrogance gets the best of us. We want to show off - be more intelligent, wittier than the next quad - that kind of thing.

There is nothing wrong with having differing opinions, but we must not forget that we are brothers and sisters in Christ and that each of us deserves to be treated with innate respect as a creation of God.

It is my position that those of us who are Catholic bloggers should be mindful of these teachings.

Here at Wheelie Catholic, my readership is not large, but I try to treat each person who visits my blog with care and dignity. I also remove comments that are disrespectful to others or what I post about.

Wheelie Catholic has no pretentions to be the wittiest blog. It certainly will never be the most popular or the most intellectual.

I confess I do have ambitions. I would like Wheelie Catholic to be the blog that reaches out best to those who feel most marginalized. I hope people gain a sense of being respected by what is posted here and by comments.

I pray that everyone feels welcome.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That kind of stuff on Catholic blogs really does not represent our faith well.

Rosemary said...

I have a disclaimer on my blogs, stating that I will remove comments that do not fit certain criteria. Every blogger has the right to set the standards for their own blog. If someone chooses to post comments that you find offensive, for whatever reason, good for you for deleting them. I'm sorry, as you evidently have had to do that recently, particularly if you felt they were an embarrassment to your Catholic faith.