Pages

Monday, October 2, 2006

Of flashing cameras, spectators and up close and personal


Excuse my bloggin' absence.

I was away at a wheelchair tennis tournament.

It rained this weekend and we went inside to play for two of the three days. So there was a viewing area above the tennis courts where spectators gathered to watch. On the last day, I was on the court taping on my racket with J&J sports tape when I heard a camera go off and saw a flash. Occasionally I saw flashes going off. The folks with the cameras stayed at a distance.

There was also a student there doing a video for cable television and other high school and college students who were studying areas like physical therapy and special ed visiting and helping out as ball kids.

At one point I looked down the row of eight indoor tennis courts and just watched the other players in their final matches. It was quiet as could be except for the sounds of players calling out scores and thwapping tennis balls.

I tried to put together in my mind the difference in the spectators' view from my own. When I looked down those courts, I saw my friends in wheelchairs playing tennis, just as I have for many years. But what did the people up in the spectator area see?

They appreciate the hours of practice we put in to play, of course. Many are tennis lovers. But does it also bridge the gap between the faceless person in the wheelchar and getting to know us as people with families and jobs?

As I left the court after my doubles match, our two student helpers said to us "You guys kicked butt out there!" and we began to talk to them about their special education courses.

Yes, we definitely made an impression on them. And I hope what they've learned enhances their future careers. They are both warm and caring human beings who seemed genuinely interested in what we were doing. But they took the risk to get up close and talk to us - and share experiences with us.

How different their view was from those up in the stands who took pictures!

2 comments:

Rosemary said...

I would think people who go to watch wheelchair tennis have an appreciation for the players as people who are overcoming their disabilities through a lot of hard work. Maybe I've just being too optimistic and naive.

Did you win any of your matches?

Ruth said...

I did win some - came in second in doubles. I agree that is a reaction people have - they go away with a sense of appreciation for the sport. It is amazing, however, the assumptions folks make until they talk to one of us! (For example, they're surprised that we work too...and drive...etc) I've been asked "Who brought you here?" I feel like answering "God." hehe However it's always great to have people see the sport - it is exciting, fast and certainly fun to play. Thx for yr comment !