Pages

Saturday, October 7, 2006

My cat has 12 lives....

Yesterday morning, my 14 year old cat took a turn for the worse. I called the vet who said to give her 72 hours to see if she got better - or worse.

This is a miracle animal. My brother in law, possibly the most unorthodox ever animal control officer in existence, gave her to me as a kitten because he found her abandoned in a field. (He was supposed to "put down" the animals if he couldn't find a home for them, but instead he sent all of us pets - all of the time!)

This cat was 2 weeks old and needed bottle feeding. I put her in my backpack and took her to work with me every day. I wasn't sure she'd survive, but she did. We definitely bonded - she would follow me everywhere like a little duck.

At the age of six months, I discovered a large lump near her chin. It was cancerous and we removed it- luckily it was benign. However, I had to put her on a vitamin regime because she is a tiny little thing and lost weight. Again she survived.

Over the last fourteen years, we've always enjoyed each other's company. She is the cat who, when I am most upset, sits with me. She's always slept in my bed. When I had my accident when she was a year old, she stayed by my side while I recovered.

Now I am caring for her. She was put on thyroid meds about a month ago but she's developed a very bad cold with respiratory problems. She's losing weight again.

Last night I said goodbye to her, put an extra warm afghan around her , left water near her side and sadly went to bed around 2 a.m. thinking she would be gone this morning. I just couldn't sit up any longer because my body was falling to the side and I needed enough energy left to transfer into bed.

Around 6 a.m. I got out of bed. She was still alive but breathing heavily. I urged her to take some water and she did. I also told her it was okay to go to sleep. She licked my face to comfort me. Then she cuddled up in the afghan and fell asleep.

I put on some soft music and went to shower. When I returned, she had moved across the room and jumped into my bed, cuddled up in the blankets, waiting for me.

Nine lives? I think this cat has 12!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope your cat gets better.

Rosemary said...

What a wonderful companion you have been to each other! It's a shame that cat's natural life span is shorter than ours, but it is, and even a cat with 12 lives can't change his nature that much.

We have a kitty that found us just when I was diagnosed with high blood pressure. Thanks to Fluffy, my BP is back to normal and I'm off the meds. They really do enrich our lives.

Animals were in the Garden of Eden, and I'd like to think our pets will be in Heaven with us.