Pages

Monday, October 23, 2006

grace, mercy and acceptance

Whenever I have to deal with something that is hard to accept, I find that my feelings come up after I receive Holy Communion.

It is in those moments that I feel closest to God as the father, son and Holy Spirit in the true sense of Trinity. I realize that Jesus suffered as we do, and is capable of understanding our reaction to suffering and all of our emotions. God as the father watched his only begotten son suffer in the way that sometimes our heart aches are the result of watch others suffer. The Holy Spirit, who resides in us, witnesses what we go through and if we pray and listen, is always there.

When I struggle with accepting a cup to drink, I try to remember that God's great love will sustain me as it did Jesus during his sufferings. How can I question that love at the very moment I am in Union with God? But, of course, such questioning and doubt does arise when I am in pain. It precedes a greater understanding of the role of God's grace and mercy in my life and, ultimately, leads to a true acceptance that honestly acknowledges my very human failings.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I relate to this . I think our faith grows by being tested and each time we go through difficult times it makes us more humble about the gift that faith really is.