Pages

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Challenging us in our circumstances...

.seems to be today's topic.

I was very touched while reading the post below at Clairity's Place, because I've had so many people come into my life who have played the role of challenging me in my circumstances.

And, to be honest, sometimes I really hate that. I don't like it when someone "challenges" me when I'm exhausted after being stuck in duct tape trying to do things or working so late that I've had 3 hours of sleep.

I feel challenged enough by being paralyzed on those days. I'm not in the mood for someone to give suggestions. Sometimes even insight isn't welcomed. What I'd really like is a good night's sleep, a secretary and a nice hot meal.

As one wise woman once said to me "If your basic needs aren't taken care of, it's hard to work on self actualization. "

Maybe. But it's still possible if you try to just grow up, ignore the discomfort and plow on, keeping in mind that one's spiritual state is dependent on one's attitude. A positive attitude, even when you're tired, hungry and frustrated, is pivotal.

This is where examples help. Think about missionaries. They volunteer to go to places where they know there will be discomforts of all kinds, ranging from the physical to the not so obvious culture displacement they must go through.

My friend Maureen who was in the Peace corps after college spoke to me of being a teacher overseas for several years and how different things were over there. After listening to her speak about this and the various kinds of deprivation she endured (not that she saw it that way, bless her) , I started to reframe some of my experiences , such as physical discomfort from not having anything to eat or being very tired due to my physical limitations, and also spoke to others with disabilities along those lines.

It was easier to listen to Maureen because she did not directly challenge me in my circumstances. She simply shared her experiences and that somehow spoke to my heart.

It is much more difficult if someone challenges me in a preaching type of way. It can be hard to listen to someone lecture me about how I shouldn't mind being hungry because I can't cook as they sit there telling me about the Sunday dinner they had from soup to nuts!

However, all of it is still a challenge to me in my circumstances. There may not appear to be a reason why a recovered drug addict came to my door several months ago collecting money for an organization and then sat down on my porch and spent an hour talking to me about how he was spared being permanently disabled. But he also challenged me in my circumstances when he reached my heart with his genunine gratitude and humility that he was now able to walk - and actually heard me when I explained that my life is full and productive from a wheelchair. We were both enriched.

Isn't that what it's all about? When we speak of being a community, when we talk about fellowship, we really need to emphasize how , as we challenge each other, we choose to enrich, rather than judge, each others' lives.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's so special when we're able to add to each others' lives. I really enjoy meeting people, even if it's for a few minutes in a food store, and connect with them positively rather than see each other as in the way because it's crowded. Just depends on our approach.