Pages

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

When I grow up, I want to be a disability advocate...

Use it or lose it - that's the mantra of physical therapy when dealing with function after recovery from a spinal cord injury for a quadriplegic . You have to push your body to do what it can and use that function to maximize what you have.

In order to do that, you have to accept the fact that you're going to be exercising the muscles you want to keep - every day. At first, this isn't easy. It seems like an uphill battle that you just can't win. As time goes by, however , you see the benefits of your efforts and it gets much easier to be disciplined about it.

I find this to be true of other things in my life too - like advocacy. I tire sometimes of trying to explain to people how civil rights are involved with issues concerning the disabled when they see what we're asking for as an unreasonable demand.

I've sat in on debates about what's fair on a cost-benefit basis to make facilities accessible. Some folks argue it's not cost effective to make things accessible if the disabled don't use them. Those of us with disabilities argue that if you make facilities accessible, the disabled will show up.

How can we prove that? Look around. There are more people with disabilities participating in American society than before the ADA passed. The numbers will increase.

I stand on the shoulders of those who struggled before me to get the ADA passed, who braved leading the charge. I'm sure they were told, too, that what they were asking for was unreasonable and not cost-effective.

It's not cost-effective, but a matter of civil rights. It's a matter of human dignity.

I cannot promise anyone that building a ramp, making a nature trail accessible, providing braille materials or teaching handicapped awareness will provide any economic benefit to their business or organization. So if we mete out access based on a cost-benefit analysis, progress is going to be mighty slow.

Isn't that why the USCCB's 1978 pastoral statement on welcoming the disabled includes this language:
"Each parish must examine its own situation to determine the feasibility of such alterations. Mere cost must never be the exclusive consideration, however, since the provisions of free access to religious functions for all interested people is a pastoral duty."

It goes on to state that if a parish cannot afford physical alterations, other accommodations can be made.

The Catholic church has gone above and beyond what is required by law in issuing this statement. The Church clearly sees the real issue: providing inclusion, not doing the cost-effective thing.

I really did not plan on growing up and being an advocate for the disabled. But I see it as a sign that I've grown up spiritually that I am willing to speak up for those who cannot speak.

When I'm treated as if I am unreasonable I take it as a sign that new ground is being broken.I understand that's part of the gig - but it's nice to know that the Church understands the true reason behind the struggle.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As you and I've discussed, it's impossible to legislate morality, much less spirituality. Thank God some people don't have to be forced to understand.