Pages

Thursday, September 7, 2006

Vegetable soup and a prayer



I'm feeling so grateful today that I can work. I have this feeling several times a week and aim to do better.

Before my accident, I don't think I ever woke up and thanked God for being able to work. It was something I just took for granted. But now, after years of adjusting the way I do things, and seeing how many people with disabilities still have enormous barriers in front of them before they can work, I have a completely changed attitude. I'm just grateful.

I've met people who can no longer do the jobs they did before they were disabled and struggle to get an education only to find that they can't get an aide to accompany them to college classes so they have to drop out. Or try to change fields and run into barriers about affording the equipment they need. Or have not been able to find job opportunities in their field.
It makes adjusting to a disability (whether it's acquired or you're born with one) much more difficult when you're frustrated in this area. It has profound and devastating financial, emotional and social implications.

So for anyone out there having a bad day at work - feeling tired, discouraged or otherwise unappreciated - I recommend having some time out to have warm soup and perhaps a quick prayer of gratitude for being able to do the work we can.

2 comments:

Dream Mom said...

I can't imagine what you must go through.

I do know from some of the experiences that I have had with Dear Son, how challenging and difficult things can be at times. I look forward to the day, when life gets easier for all people with disabilities.

I think if people could live a day in your life, or the lives of others with disabilities, it would profoundly change them.

Thank you for reminding people of their blessings.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this reminder.
Thanks be to God I am able to do the work he has given me to do.