Pages

Sunday, September 10, 2006

See it as a Global Issue - and Network!


When someone asks you if you have a problem with accessibility, have you ever answered "Yes I do and it's a global problem..."?

Probably not. Usually we see our problems from our own point of view and think it's only ours. Sometimes, in fact, we kind of guard our problems, wanting them to be a bit unique and different from everyone else's so we can feel a tad sorry for ourselves. That's okay except all it does is make us feel worse.

Yet I understand the tendency to do this because those of us with disabilities are a diverse group and we are spread out all over the globe. It can be lonely and frustrating to feel as if you are the only one within miles who has your disability- the only kid on your block, so to speak, who has those issues.

But there is a better way to look at problems. If you take a step back, you'll see that we share problems in common even when our disabilities are different. And if you look a bit closer, you'll see that people who have relatives or friends with disabilities may understand. Suddenly you're not feeling as alone. You get a sense of community. When that happens, people get together and work toward solutions. It's a beautiful thing!

So the next time you run into a problem with your disability and think you're all alone, remind yourself that you're dealing with a global problem! You've got lots of company and I bet someone else has some suggestions or help. Don't try to reinvent the wheel. We are going to network our way toward inclusion. Networking is not only cool, doing it at lunch is a great tax deduction!

On the left side of my blog you will see lists of websites. Some are listed under Catholic sites, others are Catholic resources for PWD (people with disabilities), and others are disability sites and blogs. If you don't see what you're looking for, please leave me a comment or email me. I can probably find something to help you out.

I want to thank Karen for her huge efforts yesterday in helping me with my template. She patiently entered each and every site under disability links for us after my attempts to do it with voice recognition and duct tape and a stick failed. Karen, who is an amputee from Australia, has been coming to Wheelie Catholc for weeks now but is too shy to comment. She deserves a round of thanks for doing that job! I truly appreciate it.

Oh and Karen? Now I'm going to want to divide those links into resources and blogs as we get more::::: ducking::::

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now I will comment. You have more stuff? Argh!! I'm glad I was able to help.