Pages

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Questions? Ask them.

I've decided that one way to tell people about my experience of being disabled is to write on here about questions I'm asked by folks. Maybe doing this will help people to understand those with disabilities better.

+

Last night one of the members of the bible group at my parish helped me out to my car. As we removed one of the wheels from my wheelchair to put it in my car, he asked me if I ever worried if the wheels would come off. I told him that no, when I first went into the wheelchair I worried about that alot, but it never happened.

It was a really good question.

Here's the long(er) answer:

I've used a wheelchair for over a decade. I haven't thought about a wheel coming off for many years. But his question brought me back to a time when all of this "disability stuff" was new to me.

I remember how frightened I was of the medical equipment- the wheelchair scared me a great deal. I was afraid of hills, afraid of going up and down curbcuts, afraid of falling out or tipping back. I couldn't navigate doors until someone taught me how to do it. And, yes , I was afraid my wheels would come right off because they were only attached by a lug nut device.

I was quite a mess until I met other people in wheelchairs who taught me how to use my wheelchair and reassured me that lug nuts do not ever come off, gravity sucks but can be conquered and other such wisdoms.

In a remarkably short time, with this type of support, I was speeding along in my wheelchair without much concern . My fears went away. I've been known to off-road, exceed speed limits and otherwise practice daredevil tricks since.

+

So if you have questions, post them . Ask me.

No comments: