Pages

Sunday, September 10, 2006

I need to say a prayer tonight
For someone whom I love
I'm depending on You being there
My Peace, the holy Dove.

This person is a child, Lord,
Who struggles to do things
That others take for granted
As he tires, yet he sings!

I am the one who's worried, Lord,
When he pats my cheek and grins
Then asks me what Communion is
Why You died for our sins.

I tell him of the Mystery
His eyes grow large and wide.
"So God must love me very much
If He was willing to die."

I tell him yes, that this is so
And he nods his little head.
"Then I am okay as I am
No matter what is said."

He will not tell me more than that
Just bows his head in prayer.
And so, I ask you , my dear Lord,
To listen with great care.

His silent prayers weigh on my heart
As I sit here and pray
I know what he is speaking of.
I live it every day.

For I, too, have a disability.
I pray that the day is near
When others see we are all as One
And no longer treat us with fear.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great prayer for those of us who have a child with a disability or know one. As a teacher I see heartbreaking teasing go on of a little girl in my class who is disabled. I try to intervene as I can and teach better ways. Perhaps I can email you if I have "situations" for suggestions. Our training as educators, I feel, falls short in this area.

Marilyn