Pages

Thursday, September 14, 2006

being Catholic...


One must have the memories of youth to become a Catholic.
Franz Liszt

I thought this was appropos while I was reading about the Pope's visit back to his homeland and his journey to his old childhood memories.

Can you imagine going home - as the Pope? It must have been emotionally draining, yet also exciting.

I do think all of us who are Catholic tend to be very respectful of a sense of history and our own spiritual growth. Many of our spiritual practices are based on deep reflection, which requires a certain self discipline and certainly should help develop insight.

Yet, at the same time, there is a youthful exuberance about being a Catholic, an innocence that we bring with us every time we receive Communion as a child of God that may fit this quote a bit better.

The rituals we practice reinforce the sense of familiarity, yet at the same time each time we practice them our faith deepens.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved this! Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I think this is very true too. Mass has always been so special to me and now that I can't get there I rely on my memories. I watch Mass on TV but the feelings of my past comfort me a great deal as I try to adjust. Thanks for this post.