Pages

Tuesday, August 1, 2006

There but for the grace of God go I....




Who are the homeless?

Many of them have different kinds of disabilities. Some have alcoholism, addiction, psychiatric conditions, or physical problems. Many have a combination of several of these.

I read a very disturbing story about a one legged homeless man in a wheelchair who was burned to death outside a congressman's election office recently. One of the staff members was feeding him and trying to get him into a homeless shelter. The man was turned down for various reasons, one of which was that he was physically disabled and the shelter could not accommodate him.

When police approached his body, they thought at first it was a "pile of burning trash". Then they recognized that it was the one-legged man, whom they had seen on the street so many times before. They described him as an easy-going man who always cooperated with authorities.

Most of us feel invulnerable to becoming homeless. I remember as a suburban kid when I first went into New York city and saw a homeless person on the streets. I asked my mother why everyone was walking past her. My mother told me that was just how people reacted because they were uncomfortable. The woman followed us into a restroom where she began to wash at the sink. It dawned on me then that she had no home. Nowhere to go. Her vulnerability was painful to watch.

Maybe that's part of why tragedies like this happen. If we look at other peoples' stark vulnerabilities, we have to feel our own. Maybe we'll realize that with some really bad breaks, bad things could happen to us too. Facing that is painful and frightening.

But isn't it necessary if we are to live our faith?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I pass by homeless people and wonder if that could happen to me. Do I help them? Not often. A few times I gave them my sandwich or some money. I think a lot of us have been taught to judge them instead of helping as if they are lazy. People don't think of them as sick. But probably many people wouldn't really choose to have that happen to them if they could help it.