Pages

Monday, July 31, 2006

The Invisible Disabilities Advocate


Do you have an invisible disability?

That presents issues that are different than a visible disability. (Click above for a link to The Invisible Disabilities Advocate, a website that provides support.) Some of my friends with invisible disabilities make statements like this:

*I hate when people keep telling me how good I look when I feel so lousy.
*I wish people could see what is wrong.
*People are so judgmental and never cut me a break.

An invisible disability is not easy. Whether you have a chronic condition that is physical or psychological, when people can't see it, a sense of loneliness can result and it can be difficult to get support. This is especially true if you have feelings of guilit or shame about it. Counseling can help you cope better. However we all need to work harder to make more support available in our church community as well.

It does none of us any good to sit around and debate the "chicken and the egg" question of which is worse - a visible or invisible disability. Each presents its challenges and hardships.

The reality is ALL are welcome here. So feel free to join in, comment and express your needs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this. Sometimes I feel as if my disability isn't real because no one can see it. I like the website too.