Pages

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Inclusion is not a one way street



How many times in my life I've tried to get my way by insisting that it be "my way or the highway"! I've had to learn, sometimes the hard way, that life and dealing with people is not a one way street.

This blog deals with very sensitive issues. Some of the comments I've been receiving are about experiences disabled people have had - some are good, some are bad. I read some comments this morning from able bodied people who reflected on ways they handle issues around the disabled. Some express a sense of guilt; however, I suspect that they are forgetting there were times they have handled things well and that, as awareness of issues grow, we all realize we need to change more. I think all spiritual people feel that way. I know I've handled situations badly over the years myself - I pray for more patience and strength every day.

It's important to remember that inclusion is a two way street. The frustrating part about it can be that it requires a degree of cooperation and the very places where change may need to happen most may seem most unyielding.

Those of us with disabilities need to remember that we must, even in these situations, continue to carry ourselves with dignity and a sense of responsibility for what we say and do. We can pray for a change of heart in others. We can model the behavior we wish to see. We can speak up and write about it.

We can also express gratitude to people who show a willingness to listen and change.

So thank you to those brave folks who have shared as they read this blog. All I can say is "welcome" as we travel through this life - together.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like what you said . Sometimes i get mad and turn people off which is wrong. It hurts other people in wheelchairs . I hope people understand we all have bad days but this is a good reminder to not blame others when I screw up too sometimes.