Pages

Thursday, July 20, 2006

I followed the trail...



I was out skiing a few years ago on a piece of adaptive equipment called a "sitski". I do cross country skiing, so the sitski I use resembles a bucket on top of two skis - folks who do downhill skiing use one ski.

The area where I was skiing was pretty rough. The snow was churned up from a lot of skiiers and there were deep grooves. My friends warned me not to go off by myself because I might tip over, but I ignored them and headed across the field by the pond by myself.

I was having trouble navigating through the deep grooves in the snow. For a moment, I lost control and had to choose between gliding toward the pond or turning sharply which could make me tip over. I turned.

Sure enough, I tipped over - all the way over. Like a turtle in a shell, I was trapped beneath my sitski. It took a moment before I realized what my predicament was. I had my poles duct taped to my hands since I don't have good grip - so I couldn't do much to help myself. I was surrounded by snow - lots of it - and immobilized.

Then I heard my name being called. I knew it was one of my blind friends from the Ski for Life program. I called back and within seconds I was turned upright.

"I'm glad you came along!" I said. "How did you find me all the way out here?"

"Easy," she said. "You spilled your trail mix - and when I felt all the m & m's in it - I knew it was you!"

When someone we care about is in trouble, we try to think about what would help them the most. Sometimes the fact that we know them so well makes the difference in being able to help a lost friend find their way back.

There have been other times when I've felt lost, alone and immobilized. I've remembered this story and had a good laugh - as well as a wonderful reminder that there are people who care very much about me.

The image of my blind friend picking up m&ms across a snowy ski path to find me reminds me of the kind of faith it takes for us to hang in there with each other during our troubles. As she picked up the trail, she was losing her way back since she couldn't see. She based everything on the belief that the trail would lead to me and then I would help her get back to the lodge.

It's a great example of how we need each other and how, when we feel at our weakest, we can turn right around and help someone else.

No comments: