Pages

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Do you have (a) passion?

“Science may have found a cure for most evils, but it has found no remedy for the worst of them all--the apathy of human beings.”

Helen Keller

Have you ever felt trapped in your own apathy? It's not a good feeling. People go to great lengths to avoid facing the fact that they feel stuck in their lives - they start overspending, overeating and running away from the main problem.

I've heard professionals say to such people "find a hobby", "find something you like to do". At one time playing wheelchair tennis was the only thing I did that meant much to me. When I was adjusting to being in a wheelchair, it helped me accept that lifestyle and meet others living the same way.

Ultimately, however, I had to find more than something I liked to do. I had to find a passion. It had to be something that meant more to me than anything else and, for me, it had to be a way of helping others.

That passion turned out to be advocating for others with disabilities. I had a lot of signposts pointing me toward it. I met a number of people with disabilities in my life whom I admired greatly. Then I became a quadriplegic. Two of my nephews were diagnosed with different disabilities.

I began to notice that things could be a lot better for people with disabilities. I have a particular concern for our children with disabilities. I watch them developing as human beings as they also struggle to overcome prejudices and discrimination. It is a tough road for them yet I've seen much resiliency and courage in these kids.

I've also met adults with disabilities who have difficulty advocating for themselves. This complicates their lives in heartbreaking ways and marginalizes them in ways that can lead to neglect.

Let's face it - we can't cure some disabilities and illnesses people have yet. But we can overcome our own apathy toward the quality of life they have. We can work toward giving them the dignity we, as Catholics, believe is their birth-right.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Apathy is the worst thing. This is why social programs for the disabled are in such bad shape so many times. It's not even putting money into things but the time to find out what people need. Dignity is often missing and that's the saddest thing to see.

Anonymous said...

Bette, the truth is social programs can't solve everything. People need to get involved and if they assume someone else will do it, nothing changes. It's like trying to even find services to help when you're disabled and try to work - there aren't any. You can get regular services like pizza delivery or maid service but it falls short of what you need if you can't fix a lightbulb. That's an example but it's important to say that if a neighbor or someone at church cared , I could ask them. We've lost that community and neighborly sense of responsibility in some places - at least I see it here where I live. I do think it's just apathy. I volunteer and I work and I keep truckin along. I'm not going to let it stop me.

Anonymous said...

It must be hard to find people to help out. Everyone is so busy these days. I am surprised to hear that you work and volunteer and you're apparently in a wheelchair. Good for you.

Anonymous said...

I've been guilty of apathy lately. Seems like there are so many problems in the world you don't know where to begin to help. You make a good point about Catholics and the dignity of all lives.

John